Last updated on August 23, 2021
Driving safely on a college campus always calls for extra awareness. Large groups of pedestrians crossing the street, cars entering and exiting multiple parking lots and the presence of unusual vehicles such as delivery trucks, facilities vans and school buses are just a few of the situations a driver could encounter on a college campus.
It can also be hard to adjust from the quieter days of summer to the busy and fast pace of traffic in the school year. As drivers, we must concentrate on the basics: buckle up, pay attention and be responsible behind the wheel.
The Dallas College Police Department offers the following recommendations while on campus:
- Always give driving your full attention.
- Follow all campus traffic signs.
- Only park in designated parking spots in lots where you are authorized to park. (Most parking spaces on most campuses are free, but watch out for staff-only and other specially marked parking spaces.)
- Be mindful of bikers and pedestrians. Yield to pedestrians at all times in parking lots.
- Do not park in or impede access to crosswalks, fire hydrants, bus stops or fire lanes.
- Do not exceed 20 miles per hour on campus roads or 15 miles per hour in parking lots. Drive at slower, safer speeds during poor weather, dim lighting and crowded large events.
- Give pedestrians plenty of time to cross the street safely, especially during poor weather, early morning and at night.
- Follow directions from police officers who are directing traffic.
Other campus safety tips
Additional safety rules are in place on our campuses because of the coronavirus pandemic. Currently, face masks are required for all employees, students and visitors. Learn more about coronavirus safety at Dallas College. In partnership with Parkland Hospital, Dallas College is offering free vaccinations to anyone over the age of 12. You will not be charged and you do not need to be a student.
Remember, there are many more ways to stay safe on campus, and many more ways that the Dallas College Police Department can help you. Learn more about our police services.
In emergencies, call 911 from an on-campus phone or, using your cellphone, call 972-860-4290.
Campus police departments also function as lost and found centers.
Dallas College police officers patrol the campus 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.