Last updated on August 19, 2021
Dallas College students in Phi Theta Kappa, the international two-year college honor society, persevered through a pandemic year in 2020 while still recruiting new members, hosting meetings and attending conferences. In recognition of that hard work, Phi Theta Kappa’s annual regional and international conferences bestowed honors on students and staff advisors at all seven Dallas College campuses.
Texas Regional Convention
At the Texas Regional Convention, with more than 90 chapters attending virtually, all Dallas College campuses were recognized in several different categories. Below are a few highlights:
- All campuses obtained REACH rewards, which recognizes chapters that have a 15% increase in accepted membership.
- Monica Medina, El Centro advisor, was inducted into the Hall of Honor for Advisors.
- The Horizon Award was given to three outstanding advisors, Debra Jenson and Dr. Sherry Boyd from North Lake and Rebekah Benavides from Brookhaven.
- Jose Juarez Pereira from Richland was inducted into the Hall of Honor for Members.
- The College Project Award of Merit was awarded to Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, Mountain View and Richland.
The annual international conference, Catalyst, brings members of Phi Theta Kappa together from all corners of the world to learn, share knowledge, and celebrate the hard work and accomplishments of the chapters.
Over 100 Dallas College students attended Catalyst virtually. All Dallas College chapters were recognized in several different categories for individual, chapter or team awards. Below are a few highlights:
- Dr. Jose Adames, retired El Centro president, was given the Michael B. Bennett Lifetime Achievement Award for retiring college presidents.
- Brookhaven’s Alpha Delta Pi Chapter was recognized as a Top 100 chapter out of over 1,200 chapters and was also awarded the Distinguished College Project Award for “Candid Conversations.”
- The chapter officer teams from Brookhaven, El Centro, Mountain View, and Richland were all recognized as Distinguished Chapter Officer Teams. This award was given to only 30 officer teams internationally.
- Five Dallas College Chapters were awarded 5 Star status and two were awarded 4 Star status in recognition for meeting the four hallmarks of Phi Theta Kappa .
- All chapters were recognized as REACH chapters for achieving a 15% increase in membership acceptance.
We recognize and appreciate the amount of time, energy and work put into the Dallas College chapters of Phi Theta Kappa from the students and their dedicated advisors.