Last updated on January 24, 2022
By this point in your college career, you’ve met with your success coach (advisor) many times, you’ve carefully selected your degree plan and courses, and the end is finally in sight! But before you toss your cap in the air, Dallas College success coach Vargha Manshadi has a few tips for your last semester here at Dallas College.
1. Double Check Everything: Meet with your success coach and make sure you’ve taken all the classes you need to be eligible to graduate. You don’t want your graduation to be delayed because of a forgotten class!
2. Apply for Graduation: Visit the graduation page on the Dallas College website. Here you will find useful information, such as where to buy commencement regalia or what school your program is in. Halfway down the page, you will find the Apply for Graduation button. Click on it and fill out the form by March 20, 2022. Also, don’t forget to follow up. Make sure your application was received by the Degree Audit Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Visit the Career Center: Each one of Dallas College’s seven campuses has a Career Center where you can apply for jobs and get help writing your resume and cover letter. You can also do a mock interview and brush up on your people skills. We’ll even make sure you’re dressed for success by providing you professional attire for the big day.
4. Prepare to Transfer: If you’re transferring to a four-year university, by this time you should have applied. You may be well on your way to enrollment and choosing your classes at the new school. Congratulations! To prep for your transfer, make sure you don’t have any outstanding loans or fines at Dallas College. You’ll need your official transcript to submit to your new school, and Dallas College won’t release your transcript if you have outstanding debts. Also, if you’re age 22 or younger, make sure you have an updated copy of your shot records, including bacterial meningitis. Finally, maintain the good relationships you’ve built at Dallas College because you may need letters of recommendation for upcoming internships you apply to in the fall.
5. Attend Commencement: This is a huge accomplishment. Make sure you celebrate by attending your graduation ceremony! You can purchase your graduation gown and cap at any campus bookstore or through the online bookstore.