Last updated on November 18, 2021
Three Dallas College student media organizations have won national awards for excellence.
Richland Student Radio Is National Station of the Year
KDUX Web Radio, Richland’s student radio station, received the Pinnacle Award for Two-Year College Radio Station of the Year from the College Media Association.
Richland also received Honorable Mention recognition in the CMA’s Two-Year Television Station and Two-Year Newspaper of the Year Pinnacle competitions.
Additionally, the following students received honorable mention from the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) in that organization’s individual award competition for 2020-2021:
- Barbara Gandica Martinez — Online Advertisement of the Year
- Jerry Weiss — Cartoon (Comic Strip/Panel) of the Year
- Dara Jones — COVID-19 Coverage — Broadcast: News or Feature
National Design Award for Eastfield Student
Design editor Mattheau Faught of The Et Cetera student media organization at Eastfield Campus won first place in the nation for Best Design (Page or Spread) for his “Black Songs Matter” spread Thursday at the ACP/CMA National College Media Convention. Mattheau’s design, which was published during Black History Month, beat out designs from students at Indiana University, Pepperdine, Kansas State, UT Austin and many others. Mattheau, who is a Digital Media major, also earned honorable mention recognition for Best Advertisement, while editor in chief Harriet Ramos, a journalism student, was an honorable mention selection for Two-Year Reporter of the Year.
Other National Awards
- The Et Cetera student media organization at Eastfield Campus was also recognized as part of the Pacemaker 100, a list of the publications with the most all-time Pacemaker awards.
- The Et Cetera, led by editor in chief Harriet Ramos, also received double Pacemaker finalist awards in newspaper and website this year for the second time. (The Et Cetera won both awards in 2020.)
- The Et Cetera also finished third in the nation in the College Media Association’s Pinnacle Awards for Two-Year Website of the Year and was an honorable mention winner for Two-Year Newspaper of the Year, both of which were announced Friday.
- Graphic designer Amanda Araujo, who earned her Digital Media degree last spring, was also awarded third place in the Pinnacle Awards for Best Editorial Illustration.
Brookhaven Journalist Makes Big Career Moves
The Associated College Press honored Desiree Gutierrez by selecting her as a finalist for Two-Year College Reporter of the Year. The former managing editor of the Brookhaven Courier, Gutierrez is now music and culture intern for the Dallas Observer.