Happy Fourth of July! This year, celebrate America’s Declaration of Independence in a safe way. Our Dallas College Police Department has safety tips to cover a range of activities you might enjoy this weekend.
Sparklers and Fireworks
Take the proper precautions when operating fireworks. Remember, operating your own fireworks is illegal inside the city of Dallas, and Dallas Police Department will fine you $2,000 if you’re caught creating your own show. If you’re outside of Dallas and in an area which allows fireworks, remember these rules:
- Never try to make your own fireworks.
- Never point sparklers or fireworks at yourself or others, especially while they are being lit.
- Always light fireworks on the ground and in areas that are dry and fire resistant.
- Always light fireworks one at a time.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks or sparklers.
- Always keep a portable fire extinguisher, water hose or buckets of water nearby just in case of fire.
- Do not relight fireworks if they malfunction.
- Do not discharge a firearm into the air. In Dallas, firing weapons in the air can result in a one-year jail sentence, a $4,000 fine or even a deadly conduct charge, which carries a maximum jail sentence of 10 years.
July is one of the most exciting months for grilling meals outdoors with friends and family.
- Before grilling, always check gas grill hoses for cracks, holes or leaks.
- Keep children and pets away from grills.
- Never grill on any surface that might catch fire.
- Always keep the grill at least two feet away from any outdoor equipment or structures that could catch fire easily, and do not keep the grill on a wooden porch or a small apartment balcony.
July is one of the hottest months of the year, so many of us turn to the pool or visit a lake to beat the heat. Make sure to stay safe in and around the water.
- Understand water safety rules and keep a first aid kit nearby.
- Make sure you understand safe boat operating practices, and ensure there are life jackets onboard for every passenger.
- Never go swimming or operate a boat after drinking alcohol.
- Never leave children unattended near water.
Drink responsibly. Do not drink and drive, and follow all state laws related to drinking ages and drinking in public.
- Never put yourself in a position where you might drink and drive. Choose a designated driver before celebrations begin, or take DART public transit (with your free student GoPass). You can also use apps like Uber or Lyft.
- Never ride in a car with a driver who may be under the influence of alcohol.
Stay safe, have fun and celebrate American independence responsibly!