Students Love Studying Abroad. You Can Too!

Amazing. Rewarding. Exceeded expectations. 

Those are just a few of the words and phrases students used to describe their study abroad experience. Dallas College continues to expand its international offerings through the Office of International Engagement and Global Competitiveness (IEGC) as students rave about these truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. 

Just ask a recent contingent of students who spent a couple of weeks this summer in Pau, France for a “Go Green” summer school held at the Universite de Pau et des Pays de l’Adour. 

“It was an amazing experience, really eye-opening,” said Daniel Alvarenga, who has since graduated from the culinary arts program at Dallas College. 

“It was amazing to see things I had only read about in textbooks come to life.” 

Another student, Karen Montero, echoed those thoughts. 

“Experiencing another culture and being in a beautiful place like France was incredible,” she said. “The people there were so lovely, and learning about sustainability really opened my eyes. It’s important to be aware of these issues for future generations.” 

Photo courtesy of Karen Montero.

Inside the Program

The “Go Green” program focused on three major social issues: digital responsibility and Green IT; renewable energy; and circular economy. It was an eye-opening experience for every student, regardless of what program they were in. 

For culinary students such as Lakendrick Waller, it provided a more in-depth view on sustainability beyond just food waste. 

“It didn’t address the food industry specifically. However, if you were open-minded enough to see the broader application, you could understand how it relates to the culinary sector,” Lakendrick said. “I’ve become more mindful of different ways to apply sustainability efforts. For instance, devices like iPads and tablets have an environmental cost due to the resources required to produce and transport them. The same concept applies to technologies used in the food industry. 

“The boot camp really opened my eyes to the idea that sustainability isn’t just about minimizing waste or using resources efficiently; it also involves considering the environmental impact of things like building and operating restaurants.” 

Along with the sustainability focus, students could enjoy a number of cultural activities in Southwestern France including surfing in Biarritz, trekking in the Pyrenees mountains and following in the footsteps of King Henry IV’s hometown of Pau. They also had an excursion to Spain, including a visit to the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. 

“My experience was great. I really liked the French approach to life, including sustainability and enjoying meals, is different from the American mindset of constant productivity,” Waller said. “They have this relaxed approach where people truly enjoy their meals and take time to disconnect from work, which is something I think we can learn from. It was a valuable lesson, even though it can be challenging to implement in our fast-paced culture.” 

For Alvarenga, being in a food-rich environment was memorable. 

“I got to go to two Michelin-star restaurants and tried so much food,” he said. “Every day, I visited a new restaurant. When we went to Spain for a weekend, we did a tapas tour. It was amazing. The local cheeses and wines were incredible. 

“I remember trying this yogurt in France and, even though we have yogurt here in the States, the yogurt there was much lighter and creamier. It tasted a lot better.” 

Final Messages

Every student who went to Pau, France raved about the experience. It’s something they would encourage all of their classmates to do as well as future students. 

“When I enrolled in school last year, I just made a promise to myself that I’d be open to whatever new experiences I could apply for or be a part of,” Montero said. “This trip definitely exceeded my expectations. People going on study abroad programs and learning about things such as sustainability, it makes them ambassadors for their country and really increases stewardship around the world.” 

Dallas College’s IEGC department is constantly updating and finding new and exciting learning experiences for students both in-country and abroad. Along with the France program, this summer’s opportunities abroad included a trip to London focused on criminal justice and government. 

More are being added so check the IEGC webpage often for updates and how to apply. It’s something you won’t regret given the testimonials of students who have done similar programs.

Published inCampus LifeStudent SupportWhy Dallas College?