We Are Dallas College: Faviola Cecena

Would you share your journey that led you here today?

I decided to attend Dallas College because Brookhaven is only about 10 minutes from where I live, and it was more affordable. Initially I tried to go to a university, but it was just too expensive. I had some scholarships and attempted to get loans, but it wasn’t enough. So, I shifted my focus to getting into the RN program at Dallas College. I worked hard on my prerequisites and finally got into the program in 2020, right when the (COVID-19) pandemic started. They weren’t sure if they’d have to postpone our start date, but thankfully, they decided to go all online. Nursing is difficult to learn, especially online, as we were essentially teaching ourselves without much hands-on experience. In the summer of 2021, I lost my brother during summer break. I had to decide whether to keep going or take a break, but I knew he wanted me to finish, so I pushed through and graduated in 2022. I started working as a registered nurse two months later, and now I’ve been a nurse for over two years, which allowed me to qualify for the bachelor’s of nursing program here, so now I’m in that program.

How has the bachelor’s program been so far?

I really love it. I wish more people knew about it. Whenever I’m at work and nursing students come in, I always tell them about Dallas College. There are so many people in debt from universities, and they don’t realize that community colleges offer great programs. I try to spread the word because it’s such a good option.

Do you have plans for what you’ll do once you get your bachelor’s degree?

I’m hoping to work at a hospital like Children’s, where I can start working with kids. I’ll graduate in May next year, and I plan to start (nurse practitioner) school full-time afterward, focusing on pediatrics. My ultimate goal is to open my own pediatric practice.

Why is that your goal?

I’ve always loved kids. Growing up, I was the “mom” of my group of cousins. Now, as a nurse, I love taking care of people. I think it would be great to be that person for kids as well. Medical situations can be scary for children, and I believe my personality could really make a difference for them. Having a practice where parents can trust that their kids are in good hands would mean a lot to me.

You are a first-generation college graduate. What does that mean to you and your family?

Yes, I am. My brother finished high school, but I’m the first to graduate high school and receive a college degree. Now, with a bachelor’s degree on the way, it makes my parents so proud, which makes me happy. Even among my extended family, I’m one of the first to pursue higher education. My cousins’ kids look up to me and say they want to be a nurse or pursue higher education, which is great. It’s nice to be someone they can look up to.

Do you want to share more about your brother and the impact his passing had on you?

My brother was a year and a half younger than me when he passed away at 24. He died by suicide, which was very sudden and unexpected. He left a note saying I was a great sister and that he wanted me to finish nursing school. Knowing that he wanted me to finish was a big reason I kept going. It was tough, but I knew I had to finish for him. But even if I hadn’t passed that semester, I knew I would eventually complete it. Nothing was going to stop me from finishing. My parents were so proud, and it felt like a relief to finally graduate, knowing I did it for him and for them.

What other major challenges did you overcome to get where you are now?

My parents moved to the United States when I was 3, and my brother was 1 1/2 years old. It was challenging applying to colleges because of my DACA status, and I wasn’t sure how it would affect things like financial aid and loans. I worked full-time while taking classes, which made it difficult to focus on school.

What legacy do you want to leave behind?

I want to create a program that helps kids the way programs I was in as a kid helped me. It’s important to give back and make a difference, even if it’s just for a few kids at a time. That’s the legacy I want to leave behind.

Published inCreditStudent Success StoryWhy Dallas College?