We Are Dallas College: Kirsten Bradford

Last updated on July 19, 2024

Can you share your Dallas College story?

I’m originally from Austin, Texas, and after deciding not to stay there, I moved to Dallas. I took a gap year, went to real estate school, did well, and then I got into a relationship and ended up pregnant with my son, Noah. I realized that all I had was a trade, and I wanted more for both of us, so I knew I had to get into school. I decided I should start with a community college, taking evening classes while working in the mornings. It was hard balancing everything, but I liked Dallas College and loved the community and the campus at Cedar Valley. Then I decided to go full time, quitting my job at Walgreens with the support of my parents. My dad encouraged me to focus solely on school, and my professors were incredibly supportive. I remember Professor Lisa Jackson who held and took care of my son during an entire midterm exam because I couldn’t find a babysitter. And Professor Azure Arthur literally gave me clothes that would fit my son.

You’ve had quite the journey so far. How difficult was it and what made you push through?

It was tough. My grandmother moved over here to help take care of my son because my parents worked full time, and I was juggling school and work. Me and my mom, who is a teacher, we would just rotate shifts to make sure my son was taken care of. I pushed through because I knew I couldn’t waste this support everyone gave me. My dad’s advice to take it one day at a time really helped. He reminded me to just focus on getting through each day, and that mindset carried me through. I kept a journal where I wrote down every day I had left for the semester and crossed off each day, which helped to give me a sense of progress and made me feel like everything was worth it once I crossed that final day off. 

Did that give you momentum to continue your education and keep going?

Definitely. My dad encouraged me to walk at graduation, which gave me a sense of accomplishment and momentum to continue at UNT Dallas and later at SMU. I always dreamed of going to SMU, and I eventually did. Now, I’m finishing my application to get my doctorate in Business Administration, and I’ll do it all before I’m 30.

How did your father’s support help you on your journey?

He never gave up on me, and I had no choice but to persevere because of him. Whenever something was difficult, he stepped in and removed obstacles without hesitation. He eliminated every excuse by putting himself there, always selflessly supporting me. I remember my dad doing everything in his power to make things easier for me. He told me to leave my job then took care of everything financially so I could focus on school. I was terrified of going to campus for the first time, having never been to college before. He didn’t just drop me off; he took me to my classroom on my first day. He encouraged me to participate in any interesting activities on campus, emphasizing the importance of building a community. He was always there, signing me up for things and showing me new opportunities. He just really wanted it for me and believed in my potential, never wanting anyone to tell me I wasn’t capable.

Are you glad that you started at a community college instead of going straight to SMU like you dreamed of?

If I never went to community college, I don’t think I would be who I am today and value the things I do. It’s a great steppingstone and makes so much sense once you’re on the other side of things. I had the time of my life at Dallas College and I’d do it all over again. That’s also how Noah’s going to do it. 

You had every reason not to go to college. Why did you go?

I wanted to have choices and never be told ‘no’ because I lacked qualifications. College gave me that. I wanted to eliminate barriers and be able to say I was qualified. Now, I’m focused on running my nonprofit to help others like me, with resources and support, so they don’t face the same challenges I did.

Can you tell us more about the nonprofit that you started?

Sure! It’s called 4TheGirls Social. We provide resources, seminars, and scholarships to support those navigating their education and careers. You can find us at 4thegirlssocial.org. Our goal is to create a supportive community, just like the one that helped me here at Dallas College.” 

What do you want your legacy to be?

I want to impact my community, changing my world one person at a time through love and support. I believe in the power of community and want to give back the same way my community supported me. My dream is to empower others and make a difference through my nonprofit.

Published inCampus LifeStudent Success StoryWhy Dallas College?