Transforming Lives Through Communication and Dance

Last updated on April 17, 2023

Although March is designated as Women’s History Month, one month is not enough to recognize and pay tribute to the significant roles individuals who identify as women play in our society. Therefore, we will be highlighting the roles and contributions of various women throughout the year.

In addition to the many challenges and sacrifices made, women have also achieved success in securing opportunities for themselves and others. Featured in this month’s Dallas College profile is Marielle McGregor, a talented communicator and mentor who has navigated through multiple professional transitions while helping others, particularly women, get ahead.

In her role as an assistant director for Campaign Strategy and Program Management, Marielle’s marketing skills enable her to aid in the development of strategic ideas and action plans for both internal and external partners to fulfill their goals.

“I think what I love the most about it [my job] is collaborating with these individual partners, hearing what their goals are, and then coming up with a strategic plan to help them reach their goals. I’m a big idea person, and I’m passionate about seeing those ideas happen,” she said.

Developing Strategies to Meet Students’ Basic Needs

A large part of Marielle’s work is in conjunction with the Student Care Network department, which provides social services and basic needs to students, including food pantry, clothing closet, counseling services and health center access among the resources available. Additionally, the department offers laptop giveaways and childcare services on campus.

“It’s really nice that I get to work with multiple departments. I mean, every department is making an impact, and you can see the difference that Student Care Network is making for students, specifically how the program supports student retention. Lack of access to basic care resources often keeps students out of the classroom. I really do feel that I’m making an impact every day, which is very rewarding,” she pointed out.

For Marielle, Dallas College is so much more than a learning or working environment for employees and students.

Embracing the Unexpected and Evolving With Each Transition

With a double major in dance and advertising, she came across a job opportunity at what is now North Lake Campus back in 2012. At the time, Marielle was freelancing as a writer. Her plan was to gather some much-needed employment experience aside from her freelance work. Marielle was convinced that she wouldn’t be at the institution for too long. Life had other plans. It’s now been eleven years.

Marielle described her career trajectory as one that has evolved alongside the institution’s evolution. She went from marketing coordinator to web writer. Later, she became the senior digital editor and eventually she started working in influencer marketing, leading a team of student ambassadors.

The Impact of Women Supporting Women and Our Community

Marielle has always been supported by strong women and bosses who identify as women, however, it’s her mother, a firm believer in education, who has been her biggest influence.

“My mom was a single mom, who poured everything into me,” she said.

She recounted how one day, when she was in fifth grade, her mother took her to the administrative office of a private school that she couldn’t afford. Marielle described her as a skillful advocate, “always trying to open doors.” She told the school’s principal with all the confidence in the world, “I want you to meet my daughter, your first scholarship recipient at Village Academy.” The school did not offer any scholarships until that moment.

Marielle attended Columbus School for Girls from grades six through 12. She attributes her dedication to helping women to growing up immersed in an all-women environment, which included her single mom, her grandmother and aunts. Now, as the chair of Dallas College’s Women Empowered Employee Resource Group (ERG), also referred to as WE ERG, she continues her efforts towards making sure women have a place to connect. Launched after Covid and as part of the college’s reorganization, WE ERG is the largest Employee Resource Group at Dallas College with over 500 members.

“We wanted to create an environment where women were seen and heard, where they were valued and celebrated, ” she said.

Joy and Connection Through Dance

A constant source of joy and connection for Marielle has been dancing, a passion that her mom supported since she was a child. Even as an adult, she was always looking for a place where she could continue to dance. Faced with not having an outlet that afforded her the opportunity to dance while meeting the demands of her career, Marielle co-founded  6 o’Clock Dance Theatre with a talented choreographer she befriended, and it officially became a nonprofit organization in 2018. One important goal of this space is providing support to other career women in the dance world who are working in different industries by day — such as engineers, teachers, physicians, hair stylists — but want to continue dancing and performing at an elite level. Furthermore, it is an inclusive space where diversity is honored.

Co-founders Zach Ingram and Marielle McGregor

“It’s all ages, all sizes, all races. I think there are some industries that are just slower to embrace and realize the rewards of diversity. It is beautiful to see all these races and shapes move as one. It’s a very loving community,” she said.

6 o’Clock Dance Theatre dancers

Leading by Example

One of the challenges that Marielle has had to overcome in her professional journey was learning how to manage teams while growing in her leadership role. Marielle has also experienced many “aha moments” where she has realized that the work she does can make a difference.

“There are so many students’ stories running through my head right now,” she exclaims, as she reminisces about one student who moved to the U.S. from overseas. He was a quiet and shy individual who went through a complete transformation after joining the student ambassador program Marielle was leading. He became an outgoing and talkative person who wanted to pursue motivational speaking.

“I have seen how my life has changed and how it has happened to them, too. It’s just breaking out of that cycle of poverty or breaking out that cycle of shyness. That’s an ‘aha moment’ for me personally,” she said.

Marielle recognizes that things do not necessarily happen as one plans them out, suggesting that sometimes it’s better to “Wait on God’s timing, instead of trying to follow my own plans. I’d tell my younger self to be patient and embrace the unexpected.”

Published inWhy Dallas College?