On Dec. 7, 2022, Governor Greg Abbott issued an order for all state agencies (including Institutions of Higher Education) to ban the video-sharing application TikTok from College-owned and issued devices and networks. Following the order, the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Texas Department of Information Resources published detailed guidelines to guide agencies’ compliance with the Governor’s directive. In accordance with those guidelines, Dallas College announces four preliminary steps for compliance.
Employees were required to take the following actions no later than Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2023, in regard to College-issued devices:
- Cease all use of TikTok, via the web or the application (“app”) on College-issued devices* and, if you have not already done so, remove the TikTok app from any College-issued device in your possession.
- Cease posting to TikTok on College-sponsored** accounts.
- Refrain from downloading the TikTok app to a College-issued device.
- Remove all links to TikTok (web, app or otherwise) from College-sponsored** web pages.
*”College issued-devices” include all College-issued cell phones, laptops, tablets, desktop computers and any other device capable of internet technology.
**A College sponsored account or website is any account or website owned and/or managed by the College or hosted on a College network.
Additionally, the College will develop a plan to meet the following objectives required by the State:
- Ban and prevent the download or use of prohibited technologies, including but not limited to TikTok, on any College-issued device.
- Prohibit College employees and contractors from conducting College business on prohibited technology-enabled personal devices.
- Identify sensitive locations, meetings or personnel within the College that could be exposed to prohibited technology-enabled personal devices. Prohibited technology-enabled devices must be prohibited from entering or being used in these sensitive areas.
- Implement network-based restrictions to prevent the use of prohibited technologies on College networks by any device.
- Coordinate incorporation of other technology providers into the plan, as necessary, including any apps, services, hardware or software that pose a threat to the College’s sensitive information and critical infrastructure into this plan.