It’s hard to believe that summer has flown by so quickly and it’s time to head back to campus for the Fall semester. It can also be hard to adjust from the quieter days of summer to the busy and fast pace of traffic in the school year. As drivers, we must concentrate on the basics: buckle up, pay attention and be responsible behind the wheel.
Driving safely on a college campus always calls for extra awareness. Large groups of pedestrians crossing the street, cars entering and exiting multiple parking lots and the presence of unusual vehicles such as delivery trucks, facilities vans and school buses are just a few of the situations a driver could encounter on a college campus.
The Dallas College Police Department offers the following recommendations while on campus:
- Always give driving your full attention.
- Follow all campus traffic signs.
- Only park in designated parking spots in lots where you are authorized to park. (Most parking spaces on most campuses are free but watch out for staff-only and other specially marked parking spaces.)
- Be mindful of bikers and pedestrians. Yield to pedestrians at all times in parking lots.
- Do not park in or impede access to crosswalks, fire hydrants, bus stops or fire lanes.
- Do not exceed 20 miles per hour on campus roads or 10 miles per hour in parking lots. Drive at slower, safer speeds during poor weather, dim lighting and crowded large events.
- Give pedestrians plenty of time to cross the street safely, especially during poor weather, early morning and at night.
- Follow directions from police officers who are directing traffic.
Safety and Security App
Other campus safety tips
Our campuses are fully open to students and the public. Masks are now recommended but not required at college locations and events. Dallas College continues to monitor COVID-19 and its impact on the community. Learn more about coronavirus safety at Dallas College.
Remember, there are more ways to stay safe on campus, and the Dallas College Police Department can help you. Learn more about our police services.
In emergencies, call 911 from an on-campus phone or, using your cellphone, call 972-860-4290.
Dallas College police officers patrol the campus 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.