Dallas College Shines Celebrates Pride Month: Caitlin Evans Aspires To Help and Uplift Others

Last updated on June 20, 2022

What is your major? What plans do you have for the future?
I’m majoring in education, but I want to go into library science. I want to become a librarian for elementary school. I love reading. I started reading newspapers at four years old, which evolved into a love for reading. I am a voracious reader. I will read anything and everything that I can put my hands on.

What has your experience been like at Dallas College? What are you involved in?
My experience has been great. I’ve made a lot of friends from all different walks of life. I’m starting a club, too, at the Eastfield Campus.

What do you identify as and what is your coming out story?
I am a demiromantic asexual. I have to know someone very well in order for them to be on the table romantically for me. Not a lot of partners even understand what asexuality means, and that’s a whole different spectrum. Some are sex favorable, and some are sex repulsed. I’m kind of in the middle of that spectrum. I discovered I was asexual after my first boyfriend. We broke up because he wanted to and I didn’t.

Do you feel more of yourself after identifying asexual?
It’s helped me realize the total boundaries of what I am.

What are some misconceptions about people who are asexual and others in the LGBTQ+ community?
Everybody in the LGBTQ+ community has some sort of illness, which isn’t true. There are statistics out there that show how same-sex marriages continue further than other heterosexual couples and that they are less likely to get divorced. They also adopt children.

Everyone in the LGBTQ+ community is so caring and uplifting.

What advice would you give to someone who is afraid to embrace who they truly are?
You shouldn’t feel like you need to have this big coming out experience.

Find one person to talk to first. Talk to them and see how they accept you. If they don’t, I wouldn’t waste time with a friend who doesn’t accept you for who you are. If you feel comfortable with that person, then talk with a few more people. Tell your parents.

Go for it. It doesn’t matter ten years down the road who is going to accept you or not. It’s what you do with yourself that matters. Be who you are.

Do you feel like you are most of a true version of yourself knowing you are asexual?
Yes. I don’t have to lie to myself about things that some people may assume.

What makes you proud about being part of the LGBTQ+ community?
I get to help uplift others. I get to help others find their wings, so to speak, so they can soar.

Has Dallas College been an open and safe space for you?
I feel there is always room for improvement, but the college has done well overall.

The PRISM club, the LGBTQ+ club has been great. The people — from the students and advisors — are really nice and fun people to talk to and be around. Also, Cheyenne from the Inclusive Excellence Office, has been a great person to talk to and has helped me with getting the resources I need to succeed. So, there have definitely been people who have created a safe space for people like me.

What are your plans after you graduate from Dallas College?
After I graduate from Dallas College, I plan on transferring to the University of North Texas and continuing their fast track. And then after that, I plan to teach at Mesquite ISD, which is where I grew up. I want to be a fifth-grade elementary school teacher. I have to teach for two years in the school district before I can apply to become a librarian at the school. And I’m so excited!

Published inCampus LifeSocial Responsibility and Inclusion