Last updated on February 13, 2020
Thanks to United Way of Metropolitan Dallas and the United Way of Tarrant County. Did you know if you made less than $66,000 in 2019, you may qualify for free tax preparation help in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?
How to Find Locations for Free Tax Preparation
Need in-person help, or have questions? Tax filers who earned less than $58,000 in 2019 may be eligible for in-person help from an IRS-certified tax preparer at more than 50 locations throughout Dallas/Fort Worth. Head to the MyMoneyDFW website to find one near you.
Can You File Your Taxes for Free Online?
If you made less than $66,000 in 2019, you qualify for online self preparation using software by H&R Block through MyFreeTaxes.com. By taking advantage of this service, you will save money and get more money back by doing your own taxes through the self-guided system.
Benefits of Using Free Tax Assistance
- It helps reduce poverty. Free tax prep makes it easier for tax filers to claim valuable credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC). Your return could end up being worth more than you originally expected — thousands of people each year are eligible to claim the EITC or CTC and don’t, which costs the Dallas economy millions of dollars.
- It’s convenient! MyFreeTaxes.com is web-based and can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, and in-person tax assistance can be found at multiple sites across DFW.
- It’s high quality! If you’re filing online, you’re using reliable online software created by H&R Block. If you’re getting in-person assistance, then you’re using an IRS-certified volunteer.
What You Need to File Your Taxes for Free Through MyFreeTaxes
You will need:
- a Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for each family member and working adult
- documentation of income (W2s, 1099s)
- a 1095-A form if you received a tax credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace
- the name, address and tax ID number your child care provider, if applicable
- bank routing and account numbers for your checking or savings account (if you qualify for refund via secure direct deposit)
- last year’s tax return, if you have it
- a valid email address
Important Dates for Tax Filers to Remember in 2020
- April 15: Last day to file 2020 taxes