Skip to content

Big Financial Aid Changes: No More Money Card in 2016

Last updated on October 9, 2019

Big news for current DCCCD students: the Higher One money card is being replaced by eRefunds as our refund and disbursement vendor. But what exactly does this change mean to you?

Starting June 16, you’ll need to designate the bank account where all your refunds and disbursements can be directly deposited. Don’t have a bank account? In that case, we’ll mail disbursements and refunds to the address on file for you.

How Do the New Financial Aid Disbursements Work?

The next time you’re in eConnect, you’ll notice a new feature called “eRefunds.” Once activated, this feature allows you to change your refund preferences between a mailed check or direct deposit to your bank account.

Two Options: Bank Account Direct Deposit or Mailed Check

If you don’t have a bank account, we encourage you to shop around at local banks and credit unions. There are tons of different options for checking accounts. Many banks and credit unions offer low- or no-fee checking accounts — be sure to set one up that suits your needs.

If you don’t have or opt not to open a bank account, by default your refund check will be mailed to the address on file for you. Be warned, though – this process will take longer than a direct deposit.

Steps to Set up Your eRefund

  1. Log in to eConnect.
  2. Click on the eRefunds link to go to the TouchNet website.
  3. Enter your eRefunds login, which is e(student ID number) (, and your eConnect password.
  4. Click on the “eRefunds” tab.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen to sign up for direct deposit to your bank account. (Make sure you have your bank routing and bank account number on hand!)

Once your direct deposit for eRefunds is set up, you will no longer have to wait for a HigherOne money card to arrive. You will also no longer have to remember your “shared secret word.”

Note: If you do not follow these steps, then by default you disbursement will come to you as a mailed check at the address on file for you.

What if I Want to Keep My Higher One Account?

If you want to keep your Higher One account, visit the Higher One website and log in to retrieve the bank routing and bank account number for your card. Using that information, you can then directly deposit your refunds/disbursements into your Higher One account by going through the eRefund set-up process described above.

Note: The last direct disbursement to Higher One is Tuesday, June 28. If you want to continue having your disbursements directly deposited into your Higher One account, you will need to set it up manually by that date.

Questions about eRefunds? Be sure to check out the eRefunds page on the DCCCD website.

Got other financial aid questions? Brush up on your knowledge on the financial aid section of the DCCCD website.

Published inPaying for College