Kinky Boots Costume Design (Student Blogger)

Last updated on September 10, 2019

This post is written by Annabell Talavera, a spring student blogger and El Centro College Fashion Design student.

A couple of weeks ago, my classmates and I attended the musical Kinky Boots because last semester we were challenged to create a costume inspired by the show. My wonderful professor was able to work with the Dallas Music Hall and actually got our costumes on display for the entire run of the show!

Words can’t explain the excitement that I felt when I turned the corner and saw my costume — I could hear the angels sing! It is the first time any of my designs have been on display. At that moment, I knew that the sleepless nights my partner, Marla, and I endured were totally worth it. It was great for both of us to finally make something completely out of our box and to create a costume that is all about the sparkle!

The best part of the whole night was seeing all the attention our costumes received. Watching people who were amused by our creations, taking pictures, commenting on their favorites and taking the time to read our bios — it felt great! The musical had great performances and awesome costumes with extremely talented actors.

Afterwards, we were able to speak to some of the cast members. It was awesome hearing their back stories and what it’s like to perform for an award-winning musical. My mind was blown by the behind-the-scenes information they gave us, the detail in the costumes and the entire process costume designers go through to get everything fitted perfectly on every actor. The whole night was surreal, definitely one for the books — such a blessing!

Check out the costumes below. Marla and I designed the black and silver costume with the cage and black bodysuit.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Want to see the costumes up close? The costumes are now display at the Fashion Design department display window at El Centro in building C. Check it out!

Thanks for the read!

More Information

***Read all of our student blogger posts. Are you interested in being a student blogger? Send us an email at socialteam@dcccd.edu.

Published inWhy Dallas College?